Saturday, August 23, 2008

Diving in Bali






Wow, I still can't believe it. The whole time I was down there, I kept mentally pinching myself that I was actually there. It was a great day on the water, we traveled to Nusa Penida from the beach. About a 45 minute boat ride and we were in a different world. And then we got in the water and we were in another different world. First dive was the toughest because we were trying to see Mola (ocean sunfish) and they get spooked if a lot of people are around. So we
thought we could get the jump on everyone, but there were already 10-15 boats on site, and a lot of divers in the water. The current was quite strong, and we had to hang on and wait. It was so bad that at one point, I lost a fin! Tim and Hongjoo helped me recover it and keep moving. Alas, no Mola were spotted. Too many people, perhaps. Or maybe it just wasn't our day. We had a drift dive next, easy and crusing with the flow, down a shelf. We saw some cool critters, lots of fish and nuidbranchs, but also moray eel and cuttlefish. I sat out the 3rd dive because my ears were giving me trouble, but I enjoyed my time on the bow of the boat, just relaxing. Life is good. In the second picture, look hard for the outline in the distance. That is Bali.

No comments: