Monday, September 24, 2012

Supper near the end of the African continent

 Butternut and narttije soup. Amazing. Naartjie is a citrus fruit from South Africa.
My entree was venison potjie, which is a method of cooking in a three legged cast iron pot. I endeavor to attempt this with my cast iron at home, because one of these pots (small version shown) won't fit in my suitcase. Side dish was putu (like cous cous made from corn) and chakalaka (spiced beans and vegetables).
 Liz had springbok shank! She says the meat fell right off the bone, but just to be sure, she gnawed on the bone. Springbok is the national animal of South Africa, the mascot for the rugby team, and resembles a small deer.

 We were sitting outside, and each chair had a small throw. I put mine to use!
First night in Cape Town was good times.

No comments: