Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Underwhelming Earth Day



Last year, I got involved in a local Earth Day celebration in Jackson, because it was held on the weekend. This year, work kept me from joining those guys again. Just so I can assauge my guilt on the matter, I wanted to post about a book loaned to me from my friend, Mary Beth: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. This book tells the story of how their family was changed by one year of deliberately eating food produced in the place where we live. It is a reminder of how far our food travels to get to our tables, and how we can make better choices about what we eat based on where it comes from. Small changes are the way that I am planning to approach this, for example, tonight I am making chicken pesto with whole wheat penne, but the only local ingredient is the basil (from my back porch).

No comments: